Written by Alex Sims, Class of 2025
As Willamette University has expanded over the years, it repeatedly outgrew its library facilities, leading to a long history of upgrades. In the University’s early years, the library was housed on the second floor of Waller Hall, offering books, periodicals, and reading rooms. In 1872 the library had over 2,000 volumes and by 1935 the Willamette University Libraries of Liberal Arts and of Law had about 35,000 volumes.1
At the beginning of his presidency, President Bruce Richard Baxter assessed the needs of the campus and determined a dedicated library building was vital to the improvement of the University. On March 6, 1937, the Willamette University trustees authorized a new library building at a cost not to exceed $100,000. Pietro Belluschi from the A. E. Doyle architecture firm was selected to design the building.2 Funds for this project came from a $100,000 unrestricted legacy donation made to Willamette by Eric V. Hauser in 1929.3
Belluschi designed a striped Georgian-style two-story red brick and white wood-trimmed building. The building, completed in 1938, cost $84,592 and was 165 feet by 85 feet with a basement area of 90 feet by 20 feet. The library was designed to accommodate 1,000 students and 50,000 books. The building included book stacks, a circulation desk, seminar rooms, offices, and a special collections room for rare and archival materials.4
As the University continued to grow, the library once again became insufficient in size. In the 1960s, under the direction of President Smith and architect James Payne, plans were initiated to expand the library. At the same time, a new building would be constructed to the south of the library. The new building was dedicated on May 20, 1967 and named Walton Hall after William S. Walton, a financier and philanthropist who donated $145,000 towards the construction of the building.5 Walton Hall was around the same size as the library and the design of the building complemented the architecture of the already existing library. The new building housed the language department containing modern language laboratories, classrooms, and offices.6 The library addition was built between the existing library and Walton Hall, connecting the two buildings, increasing stack space from a volume capacity of 106,000 to approximately 300,000. The addition of lighted study carrels among the stacks area additionally doubled the number of seating options.
While the addition to the library did increase storage space, several other problems were affecting the library staff. In March 1976, President Robert Lisensky, following the advice of University Librarian, Patricia Stockton, invited Dr. Ralph Ellsworth, a library architecture consultant, to assess the current library. In March 1977, Dr. Ralph Ellsworth visited campus and then issued a report which revealed the inadequacy of the University Library in serving the needs of the student population.7 Issues included poor lighting, limited ventilation, crowded rooms, confusing layout, and no spaces to discuss library material without disturbing others. Dr. Ellsworth determined the best course of action would be to construct a new building approximately 42,000 square feet in size. Understanding this was an unlikely outcome he provided several suggestions for renovating the current space to improve its functionality.8
In May 1978, President Lisensky created the Ad Hoc Committee on the University Library. The committee was charged to assess the feasibility of renovating the current library according to Dr. Ellsworth’s recommendations. On February 23, 1979, the committee issued its report reiterating the findings of Dr. Ellsworth. This report once again highlighted the inadequacy of the library concluding “[t]he library is not inviting the user.” The committee’s final recommendation was that a new library should be built.9
After this report was issued, planning began for a new library building which would open in 1986 as the Mark O. Hatfield Library. This process took several years, many consultants, and cost $6.4 million. The new library facility, with a book capacity of 250,000 volumes, provided more space and much-needed functionality.10 Once the library materials were transferred to the Hatfield Library, the University Library building was ready to be repurposed.
In 1987, under the presidency of Jerry E. Hudson, plans to renovate the old University Library building began. William B. Smullin, a Willamette alum (‘29), broadcaster, and businessman donated $1.25 million toward the $3.1 million project.11 This project demolished the library stacks addition that had connected the building to Walton. The old library spaces were converted into four-floors by adding a floor in the main reading room space. Renovations also were made to Walton Hall during construction and and the buildings were once again connected together. Smullin Hall was dedicated on May 14, 1988. The updated building contained classrooms, seminar rooms, and office spaces. Smullin Hall became home to the Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, and Speech Departments providing much needed space for these programs.12
Written Summer 2024
Endnotes
Click to expand
- ˆ “Bulletin of Willamette University Catalog, 1935-1936.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1935, 18-19.; “Catalogue of the Willamette University for the Collegiate Year 1872-73.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1872, 31.
- ˆ Willingham, William F. Collegiate Architecture and Landscapes in the West: Willamette University 1842-2012. (Hallie Ford Museum of Art at Willamette University, 2019), 93-94.
- ˆ “Willamette University Catalog 1973-74.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1973, 9.
- ˆ Willingham, William F. Collegiate Architecture and Landscapes in the West: Willamette University 1842-2012, 94-96.
- ˆ Willingham, William F. Collegiate Architecture and Landscapes in the West: Willamette University 1842-2012, 134-135.
- ˆ “Library Wing Named ‘Walton’.” Willamette University Digital Collections, Willamette Collegian, 3 Feb 1967, 6.
- ˆ Building Program Statement (page 1), 1980 April, Box: 3, Folder: 57. Willamette University Library records, WUA129. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections. Building Program Statement (page 65-69), 1980 April, Box: 3, Folder: 57. Willamette University Library records, WUA129. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections.
- ˆ Ellsworth, Ralph. “The Library Building Problem.” Box: 3, Folder: 54. Willamette University Library records, WUA129. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections.
- ˆ Building Program Statement (page 1), 1980 April, Box: 3, Folder: 57. Willamette University Library records, WUA129. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections.
- ˆ Hatfield Library dedication program (page 4), 1986 September 4, Box: 3, Folder: 24. Willamette University Facilities Management records, WUA130. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections.
- ˆ Dailey, Andrea G.. “Smullin gives $1.25 million to fund new academic facility.” Willamette University Digital Collections, The Scene, 1 Feb 1987, 10-11.
- ˆ Smullin Hall dedication, 1988 May 14, Box: 3, Folder: 35. Willamette University Facilities Management records, WUA130. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections.
Works Referenced
Click to expand
- Building Program Statement, 1980 April, Box: 3, Folder: 57. Willamette University Library records, WUA129. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections. https://willamette.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/archival_objects/88715
- “Bulletin of Willamette University Catalog, 1935-1936.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1935, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/12045.
- “Catalogue of the Willamette University for the Collegiate Year 1872-73.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1872, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/11894.
- Dailey, Andrea G.. “Smullin gives $1.25 million to fund new academic facility.” Willamette University Digital Collections, The Scene, 1 Feb 1987, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/11629.
- Greenwood, John. “Library Wing in Full-Time Use Soon.” Willamette University Digital Collections, Willamette Collegian, 24 Mar 1967, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/7697.
- Hatfield Library dedication programs, 1986 September 4, Box: 3, Folder: 24. Willamette University Facilities Management records, WUA130. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections. https://willamette.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/archival_objects/89015
- “Library Wing Named ‘Walton’.” Willamette University Digital Collections, Willamette Collegian, 3 Feb 1967, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/8698. .
- Smullin Hall dedication, 1988 May 14, Box: 3, Folder: 35. Willamette University Facilities Management records, WUA130. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections. https://willamette.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/archival_objects/89055
- Walton Hall, Library Addition, and Doney Hall Addition dedication, 1967, Box: 3, Folder: 42. Willamette University Facilities Management records, WUA130. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections. https://willamette.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/archival_objects/89087
- “Willamette University Catalog 1973-74.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1973, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/11954.
- Willingham, William F. Collegiate Architecture and Landscapes in the West: Willamette University 1842-2012. Hallie Ford Museum of Art at Willamette University, 2019.
- “$100,000 Legacy Given by Hauser: Collins Offers to Add 15 Cents to Every Dollar Paid in toward Present Drive.” Willamette University Digital Collections, Willamette Collegian, 7 Feb 1929, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/7672.
Image Citations
Click to expand
- “Aerial view of Walton Hall Construction.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1965, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25067.
- “A woman looks for a book in the University Library.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1982, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25017.
- “Book Cabinets in Smullin Hal[l].” Willamette University Digital Collections, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/26672.
- “Clearing ground for the construction of Walton Hall.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1965, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25084.
- “Construction of the interior of Walton Hall.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1965, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25125.
- “Dismiss Classes Tomorrow Morn For Book Moving.” Willamette University Digital Collections, Willamette Collegian, 19 May 1938, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/7650 .
- Library expansion fundraising brochure, circa 1965, Box: 3, Folder: 51. Willamette University Library records, WUA129. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections. https://willamette.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/archival_objects/88709
- “Library Stacks.” Willamette University Digital Collections, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/24915.
- “Searching the card catalog in the University Library.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1982, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25135.
- “Sketch of Smullin Hall Renovation.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1982, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25082.
- “Students in Language Lab in Walton Hall.” Willamette University Digital Collections, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25909.
- “Students in the University Library.” Willamette University Digital Collections, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/26605.
- “Studying in the University Library.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1983, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25006.
- “Students talk outside of Walton Hall.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1982, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25055.
- “Studying in the University Library.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1982, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/24998.
- “Smullin Hall, from an upper floor of Eaton Hall.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1983, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/24864.
- “Smullin Renovation.” Willamette University Digital Collections, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25891.
- “Smullin Renovation.” Willamette University Digital Collections, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25956.
- University Library addition and remodel main floor plan and elevations, 1963 November 22, Box: Tube 18. Willamette University Facilities Management records, WUA130. Willamette University Archives and Special Collections. https://willamette.libraryhost.com/repositories/2/archival_objects/88929
- “University Library, construction nearly finished.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1938/1939, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/24928.
- “University Library.” Willamette University Digital Collections, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/25044. .
- “William S. Walton and Marion Morange, Professor of French, break ground for the construction of Walton Hall.” Willamette University Digital Collections, 1965, https://hdl.handle.net/10177/24997.